City Municipal Judge
Date Posted: 10/05/2012
Employer: City of Laramie
Location: Laramie, WY
Job Type: Part-Time
Salary: Based on Qualifications
The City of Laramie is currently seeking a part-time (20 to 25 hours per week, no less than five working days per week excluding City Holidays) Municipal Judge to preside over the courtroom proceedings of the Laramie Municipal Court. The Municipal Judge exercises original jurisdiction over all criminal and traffic violations of any ordinance of the city and concurrent jurisdiction over all misdemeanor violations of the law of the State of Wyoming committed within the City. This is a contract position appointed by the City Council. Work is performed in accordance with the law and is subject to review by a higher court through an appeal or special action.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Presides over all nonmoving criminal misdemeanor and traffic violations of City ordinances.
- Presides over arraignments, court trials, jury trials, pre-trial hearings, mitigation, sentencing and show-cause hearing for criminal and traffic violators.
- Independent judgment in managing the City Municipal Court docket.
- Issuance of statewide bench warrant for violation of a City ordinance.
- Determine bond for a person charged with a violation of a City ordinance to ensure appearance at future court dates.
- Enforce court orders, rules and judgments made by the Municipal Judge.
- Issuance of warrant, search warrant, subpoena or other necessary processes for contempt to the same extent as the District Court.
- Responsible for accuracy of the monthly reports to the City Manager of all cases for violations of City ordinances in the City Municipal Court, and the disposition thereof, with a statement of the fines, penalties and costs received.
- Coordinates with the City Court staff for operations of the city Municipal Court in the exercise of the Judge's judicial function.
- Oversee the retention of substitute judges.
- Develop rules of practice for the City Municipal Court which are consistent with City Code, and State statutes governing the practices and proceedings of cases before justices of the peace and constables.
- Must be a bona fide resident of the State of Wyoming.
- Admission to the Bar in the State of Wyoming and in good standing to practice law.
- Attorney at Law admitted to the practice of law by the Supreme Court of the State of Wyoming.
- Three years of experience in the practice of law or equivalent legal experience, including some experience in a trial courtroom setting.
To apply for this position please visit www.cityoflaramie.org or the Laramie Workforce Center at 3817 Beech Street, Suite 100, Laramie, WY 82070.